Hockey is in New Zealand’s sporting DNA – from our world-class Vantage Black Sticks men’s and women’s sides to our 80,000 grass-roots participants, hockey is a game for life. A gender-equal game, hockey is alive with growth and opportunity from Black Sticks to Small Sticks.
In a truly global sport, The New Zealand Black Sticks regularly inspire the nation with medal-winning efforts and impressive victories against the world’s best. Both teams competed in the recent Tokyo Olympics and they also play in the annual FIH Pro League. The Black Sticks Men are currently ranked eighth in the world.
As National Coach, you will have overall responsibility for leading the Black Sticks Men’s programme to optimise the performance of the national team at international events, lead a robust and well-planned selection process as convenor of selectors and ensure continued development of a high-performance culture. This includes an environment of honesty, trust, transparency, open communication and a high level of care.
You will lead a world class daily training environment and ensure that individual players and the team are well planned and prepared with clear understanding of team strategies, individual focus areas and overall performance targets.
Working closely with the GM High Performance, CEO, Board of Directors and other key stakeholders, you will be responsible for ensuring strategic alignment throughout the wider Hockey New Zealand high performance system.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Proven track record of coaching elite Hockey at a national or international level.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, organising and implementing a comprehensive high performance coaching programme for elite teams and athletes.
- Outstanding hockey knowledge of individual and team principles including techniques, tactics, coaching trends and international developments.
- Experience and capability in the holistic development of athletes and programmes.
- History of building and driving a high-performance culture in a team environment.
- Exceptional relationship and people management skills, with a focus on the development & performance of players.
- Successfully managed internal and external stakeholder relationships that have been critical to the achievement of joint objectives and targets.
- An understanding of the “kiwi way” and its successful cultural attributes.
- High performance coaching accreditation or equivalent is required.
This is a fantastic opportunity to lead a top 10 ranked international men’s hockey programme and compete at World Cups, Commonwealth and Olympic Games!
APPLICATIONS CLOSE – Wednesday 17th November 2021
Global Elite Sports (www.globalelitesports.com) have been contracted by Hockey New Zealand to manage the executive search process for this appointment.
Please contact Richard Stenhouse – Managing Director for more information or to submit your resume & cover letter by applying here online or via email to: [email protected]