ABOUT ATHLETE LEADERS NETWORK
The New Zealand Athlete Leaders Network (ALN) was established to increase the strength and mana of the athlete voice in New Zealand and drive a wellbeing focus across the sports system. The network comprises athlete leaders from across Olympic, Paralympic and Commonwealth Sport.
The Athlete Leaders Network was first developed in 2021 (originally as the Athlete Leadership Network) by the NZOC Athletes’ Commission. It was athlete-led and had been developed in response to the lack of experience and depth in athlete leadership across the system. A full-time General Manager and Board will be responsible for delivering the organisations ambitions and strategic objectives.
As General Manager, you will be responsible for leading and evolving the athlete voice mechanism, across the New Zealand sporting sector. You will have administrative oversight and manage the operations of the Athlete Leadership Network and advocate for athletes and their needs across the sector.
You will maintain active engagement with high performance athletes in New Zealand across sports in a professional, co-operative, and integrated manner. You will develop strong relationships and open dialogue between athlete leaders and key personnel in the NZOC, PNZ, HPSNZ, Sport NZ and National Sport Organisations to further develop and enhance athlete voice. You will help provide opportunities for athletes to become leaders of change through governance and leadership training, networking opportunities and the development of links with New Zealand and international athlete representative bodies.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience as an elite athlete or working closely with high performance athletes.
- Knowledge and understanding of historical wellbeing athlete issues in New Zealand.
- Outstanding relationship management skills with an ability to build trust and strong connections across diverse stakeholder groups.
- Ability to identify strategic opportunities and emerging issues as well as solve problems.
- Experienced in overseeing leadership programmes and / or facilitating learning activities that build leadership capability.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- A strong self-starter and independent leader.
- Business management experience including managing budgets and reporting.
- Experience or understanding of conflict resolution processes or mediation.
- Commercial experience, in particular contract negotiation would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of the high-performance sports sector in New Zealand.
This is a fantastic opportunity to increase the strength and mana of the athlete voice in New Zealand.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE – Monday 31st October, 2022
Global Elite Sports have been contracted by The New Zealand Athlete Leaders Network to manage the executive search process for this appointment.