About Cycling New Zealand
Cycling New Zealand (CNZ) is the National Sports Organisation (NSO) for cycling in New Zealand. It is recognised by the International Cycling Union (UCI), Sport New Zealand, High Performance Sport New Zealand (HPSNZ), the New Zealand Olympic Committee (NZOC) and the New Zealand Paralympic Committee (NZPC) as representing the interests of Road, Track & Cyclocross, Mountain Bike, BMX, and Schools Cycling.
The CNZ head office is located at the world class National Cycling Centre of Excellence – the Grassroots Trust Velodrome in Cambridge. The High-Performance Programme is run out of the velodrome, and all administration, event, communications, coaching and support staff (FT staff of 30) are located onsite.
CNZ’s role is to work closely with national bike and cycling organisations to set a platform for strengthening cycling opportunities in New Zealand and provide long-term direction for the sport. They also support and invest in high-performance programmes, athlete development programmes and the overall sport development, consistent with their strategic plan.
As Chief Executive Officer, your core responsibility is the strategic leadership and management of CNZ. This role is critical to growing the commercial, cycling performance and delivery of the sport, across the high performance and wider community cycling eco system. CNZ is emerging from a number of organizational and cultural reviews, and therefore the demands and public interest is high. Enhancing the reputation of CNZ, leading from a strong values base, setting and delivering the cultural, and operating standards to the highest expectations are cornerstone aspects of the role.
You will be a trusted advisor to the Board of CNZ, responsible for the leadership and management of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the sport’s national office. The ongoing advancement and enhancement of CNZ’s status as a tier one NSO in New Zealand is essential and delivery of this will require a CEO with a high EQ, who is values based and demonstrates and exemplifies the highest standards of leadership through their actions.
As a key figurehead, you will develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including commercial partners and funding bodies as well as local, national and international cycling communities to help position CNZ as a leading organisation within the sport and recreation sector. You will enjoy the strong support of an engaged, aligned and highly skilled board of directors.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Senior leadership experience at CEO or GM level within business, sport or similar.
- Exceptional relationship management skills with experience working with multiple stakeholders with often conflicting agendas.
- A track record in revenue generation, with strong commercial acumen and delivery.
- Experience with budgetary planning and management as well as understanding of financial processes and statutory requirements.
- Strategic and visionary leader with ability to influence, advocate and inspire others.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, High EQ, authentic with a strong values base.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills with the ability to act as the public “figurehead” of CNZ.
- Previous experience reporting and / or working with Boards would be an advantage as well as experience working with membership-based organisations.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for an experienced senior executive to take on the leadership mantle for the sport of Cycling in Aotearoa. You will be supported by an engaged and highly skilled board along with a motivated team of people to lead, develop and grow!
APPLICATIONS CLOSE – Wednesday 9th November 2022
Please apply here or email your covering letter and CV to Richard Stenhouse via [email protected]
Global Elite Sports (www.globalelitesports.com) have been contracted exclusively on behalf of Cycling New Zealand to undertake the search assignment for this appointment.